The Mixed Reality documentation KINSHASA 2.0 was produced in the context of the project "Why Democracy" and deals with the political situation within the Democratic Republic of Kongo as well as the possibilities of the internet to strenghten democracy. The film was realized making use of the virtual world Second Life®. The scenes that were shot inworld have been produced by the agency YOUin3D.com from Berlin. Director: Teboho Edkins.
Teboho Edkins was born in the USA in 1980 and grew up in mainly in Lesotho, but also Germany, South Africa and France and now lives in Berlin. He studied Fine Art in Cape Town, did a 2-year post-graduate residency at le Fresnoy, studio national des arts contemporains in France, and is currently in the post-graduate programme of the dffb film academy in Berlin. He has received numerous scholarships and prizes.
Synopsis of the film:
Kinshasa 2.0 tells the story of how the arrest of Marie-Thérèse Nlandu, a woman from a prominent political family in the Democratic Republic of Congo, was publicised through the Internet and resulted in filmmaker Teboho Edkins visiting Kinshasa to see how the arrest has affected the family.
His film explores a tense, militarised Kinshasa, where it is extremely difficult to film, and using Second Life® – a 3D virtual chat program - he looks at his friend Carine’s attempt to keep in contact with her aunt Marie-Thérèse after she is released and goes into exile in Belgium.
The film moves between the real city and the heightened world of Second Life® accompanied by a silent observer – a wooden soldier that appears on the edge of most scenes observing, waiting, watching…
Kinshasa 2.0 already has been presented atthe following Festivals:
1) "Talent Campus" at the Berlinale 2008 in Berlin
2) Directors Lounge, Berlin
3) "International competition" of the Internationale Kurzfilmtage Oberhausen
4) Project 10 – Real Stories From a Free South Africa, Berlin
5) "Official Competition" of the Norwegian Short Film Festival
6) International Film Festival Innsbruck
7) 3e Festival Cinémas d'Afrique et Journées du Crocodile de Lausanne
8) Africa in the Picture Festival Amsterdam
9) VIDEO_DUMBO, Contemporary Video Art Exhibiton, part of ART UNDER THE BRIDGE FESTIVAL, New York City
10) International Literature Film Festival Berlin
11) International Youth Film Festival St. Petersburg
12) XXVIII Festival of African Cinema of Verona
13) Tehran International Short Film Festival
14) Monkeytown, Video Art Exhibtion, New York
15) 25. Französische Filmtage Tübingen-Stuttgart
16) Rencontre Internationales, Paris/Berlin/Madrid
Kinshasa 2.0 has also been broadcasted on TV:
1) NRK2, Norge
3) PBS, North America